Dear Donald Trump
We don’t need to build a wall. We need to build an invisible fence. As illustrated below, rather than costing taxpayers additional hundreds of $ billions to service, it will save $ trillions over the long-run.
We build an invisible fence by:
1) Rescinding the anchor baby laws. No longer do non-citizens’ kids get auto-citizenship.
2) Ending welfare and all entitlements for non-citizens. That means unless you are a citizen you don’t get any taxpayer-financed anything. No school for the kids you smuggle in, etc. No citizenship, no handouts. End of story.
3) Prosecuting employers who hire illegals to the fullest extent of the law. With those 3 items you’ve eliminated most all incentives for coming across the border. (I am open to eliminating this if other government interventions are removed that disrupt the labor pool.)
4) Eliminate most all entitlement welfare for most / all able bodies adults of sound mind. This will provide a massive pool of unskilled labor for U.S. employers who claim “no U.S. citizens will take the jobs”. When deadbeats don’t get paid to F off, they’ll be ready to work.
If you want to build the invisible fence higher:
5) rescind the minimum wage laws. There is no reason unskilled labor on one side of an imaginary line should be worth $15 an hour for knowing nothing compared to the other side of the line where it’s worth $1. All it does is drive up costs for consumers, including the low-wage earners this is supposed to benefit, while also encouraging employers to replace wages with automation that doesn’t need benefits, does not get sick or sue for discrimination, etc. And it draws people across the border for the extra, artificially created wage gap.
And if you truly want to solve the problem, we must:
6) Criminalize having children you can’t care for. The act of having a child is not a crime. However, dumping the costs of the kids you keep birthing onto taxpayers is anti-social to the ‘nth degree and is in EVERY WAY stealing from others so you can live without suffering the financial consequences of YOUR CHOICES.
You are not entitled to be financially incentivized / supported by taxpayers to have children! After one kid the state will help, but you’re expected to both identify the father AND also work, OR YOU WILL BE JAILED. Fathers who refuse to assume financial responsibility for their children will go to jail. The taxpayer is not your cuckolded husband. Financial obligations will be equally split between parents. Siring kids on someone else’s dime is not your right.
If you have a second child that you are unable to support, you will go to jail for a mandatory 5-years because you cannot be trusted not to steal. It will be a repayment jail and you will learn a work ethic and your labor will be sold by the state to compensate for caring for your children. You can always be released from jail if you 1) immediately assume financial responsibility for your children or 2) voluntarily become sterilized. After your five-years is done, you are welcome back, BUT if you have another child you can’t care for, you’ll serve 10-years. Then 20. Then 40.
While hard working, middle and upper class families self-regulate and have smaller and smaller families to make ends meet, we are insane to subsidize the least socially and financially responsible, often the lowest IQ types, to have many kids who grow up in broken families to learn zero work-ethic, who then contribute to 90% of crime / gun violence / murders, an who geometrically expand the same population demographic mimicking the learned cultural behaviors. The math on this is simply unsupportable and unless corrected, the U.S. will go bankrupt subsidizing births of those who can’t support their own progeny once they have become the majority.
7) Privatize all government-run charity by ending taxpayer redistribution for entitlements. Big Government run entitlements is a $ trillion MEGA business run by self-serving union workers, horsetrading politicians and private contractors whose self-interest lies in not solving problems, but expanding them to their own profit. The entitlement industry does not measure success by reduction of numbers, but rather by numbers of recipients reached = the more the better. Nobody wants the market to provide solutions because it eliminates their political power. Private charity must compete for contributions and demand of clients behaviors that are conducive to ending dependence vs. fostering a growing need for more and more handouts, ala # 6 above.
If you want to eliminate the need for high skilled labor exemptions to non-citizens often talked about:
8) End compulsory state education. Open government / union run schools to 100% competition. Migrate to end all mandatory taxpayer financing of schools. Close the DEA. End all government subsidization of higher education, including loan guarantees. Economic gravity / demand should drive ALL education, not politics. End of story. The problem with lack of educated people is a broken system driven by politics and central planning rather than genuine market demand-economics.
Though the results of such policy changes might act like a wall or fence in ways pro-Trump folks like, these ideas are really not analogous to a real fence, electric, wall or otherwise. I used that term to get the attention of the pro wall-building crowd. But we don’t need a wall to stop these policies. We JUST NEED TO END THE STUPID POLICIES that created the problem.
None of these problems are natural to our environment. They are the byproduct of endless government meddling, the consequences of bad laws creating problems that are used by the politically motivated / self-interested to justify a whole new set of laws intended to fix the problems. These, in turn, only serve to create a whole new set of unintended consequences, an endless cycle corkscrewing into dysfunction regardless of purpose withe the only winners being those with sufficient political power to earn a living off if. Indeed, this is the essence of government run amuck: intervention begetting more intervention, begetting yet more intervention, never solving the problem. Those in Government win while the policies, at first gradually and then with ever-increasing force, choke out the life of the rest of the nation, economy, etc. all at the expense of taxpayers / our liberty.
The point is: WE DON’T NEED AN $800 BILLION WALL, and we certainly don’t need the bureaucratic legacy it will enshrine. This is just more government. We just need to end the stupid policies that created the problem. By ending the policies, we’ll no longer have to argue about “who will pay for the wall”, and instead we’ll be talking about $ billions of taxpayer saved annually, lower deficits and hopefully a declining government debt for our kids and grand-kids.
Ronald Reagan is purported to have once quipped something to the effect of “if the answer to your question is “more government”, then you’re asking the wrong questions”. The Wall is no exception. Like all politician-inspired ideas, without question the Wall addresses a genuine concern of many people. But like nearly all government, it will over-promise and under-deliver — It will become a $ billion boondoggle requiring endless, ever growing government-run overhead to service.
Moreover, it only treats the symptoms.
The answer is to remove the government meddling that created the problems.